Formal Introduction

Subject: A self-introduction

 

Dear Professor Blackstone,

 

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Zhi Xiang, but feel free to address me as Zac. I am a Year 1 Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering student enrolled in UCS1001 Critical Thinking and Communicating Module.

 

I am a graduate student from Republic Polytechnic with an Aviation Management Diploma. I have great interest in studying statistics and subjects that revolves around mathematics, the way that these subjects can be applied to in our everyday lives is what sparked my interest to pursue further.

 

In my opinion, one of my strengths in communication is that I have taken Effective Communication in my Polytechnic Diploma, allowing me to know what are the factors that makes a good and bad communication, such as communication barriers (Emotional, psychological barriers, etc.) and the use of body language when presenting to the class. I feel that I can use my hands and arms to attract attention, and to engage my audience rather than to put off a negative non-verbal communication that may bore my audience (reading off the slides, no eye contact). Albeit one of my strengths, I have not mastered the use of body language and there is a lot to work on.

 

One of my weaknesses is that I feel I need to improve on greatly is my anxiety when presenting to the class and especially when it is a graded presentation. I tend to get jittery and sometimes stutter when I feel overwhelmed by the anxiety, a self-induced stress that I must overcome and manage properly to not let it affect important scenarios such as graded presentations.  I hope by gaining knowledge and insights to this module, I am better prepared to tackle my weaknesses when doing public speaking.

 

I hope that with your guidance and experience, I can better understand:

i)                    How to deliver a proper and effective presentation that leaves a long-lasting positive impression on my audience.

ii)                  How to craft and write proper and structured report that is coherent and concise.

 

I am diligently striving to foster greater independence in my learning journey, particularly due to a debilitating condition I am tackling with, namely disc herniation. This condition has necessitated two surgeries in the past. As a result, my physical presence in your class has been limited. Please accept my sincere apologies for this inconvenience. I assure you that I will make every effort to attend your classes as frequently as my physical condition permits me to. Rest assured, I am still reviewing the course materials provided on xSite and will do my best to deliver assignments on time.


Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself, and I hope that I too will be able to know more about you as well in due time.

 

Yours sincerely,

Ng Zhi Xiang


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Zac,

    Thanks very much for this detailed letter. I appreciate learning about you here.

    I also appreciate that you are trying to contribute even with your health issue. I spoke yesterday to Syakir, and he informed me that you will be attending next week.

    Please speak to Syakir about joining his blogging buddies group. You can then contact them and introduce yourself, first and foremost, by commenting on their letters.

    Let's talk this coming week. I'll give more comments on your letter after your buddies have commented.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thanks for your time in reading the post and thank you for your kind understanding in regards to my medical condition.

      I will speak with Syakir on the above matter.

      Best Regards
      Zhi Xiang

      Delete
  3. Hi Zac,

    The introduction describing your academic background and personal challenges was well elaborated. Your inclusion of strengths and shortcomings establishes in-depth aspects of communication emotionally and psychologically.

    Your unique way of being clear with regards to your goal by indicating in point form shows how organized you are in pursuing your objectives in this class.

    Your email reflects a positive attitude towards improvement and a genuine commitment to overcoming challenges. I look forward to supporting your growth throughout the module.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Zac,

    Thank you for the detailed letter. In it you cover all the areas required in the brief, and you illustrate each explanation with specific examples. Doing this brings the letter and your experience to life. It's interesting for me that you have studied effective communication in poly and seem to show a good theoretical understanding, for instance, of effective body language in an oral presentation context. Of course, application is the purpose of our module. I do hope you will be able to join us for the presentations upcoming.

    Take note too that most of our work is within the Google Docs folder.

    There are a few areas of language use that you also might need to consider for revision. (We discussed these in class, albeit when you were absent.)
    1. sentence structure
    -- I have great interest in studying statistics and subjects that revolves around mathematics, the way that these subjects can be applied to in our everyday lives is what sparked my interest to pursue further. > (comma splice)
    I have great interest in studying statistics and subjects that revolves around mathematics. The way that these subjects can be applied to in our everyday lives is what sparked my interest to pursue further.
    -- Albeit one of my strengths, I have not mastered the use of body language and there is a lot to work on. > (inaccurate transition word)

    2. overuse of caps
    -- I am a Year 1 Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering student enrolled in UCS1001 Critical Thinking and Communicating Module. >
    I am a Year 1 mechanical design and manufacturing engineering student enrolled in UCS1001 Critical Thinking and Communicating.
    -- ...with an Aviation Management Diploma. > ?
    -- ....is that I have taken Effective Communication in my Polytechnic Diploma, ... > ?

    Please see this website for more information: https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp (See Rule 12.)

    I appreciate your effort.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts